Friday, July 19, 2013

Cauliflower in Curry Sauce

Okay, so just as an FYI, I tend to adore curries in general.
I can't do the really spicy ones, and neither can hubby, but that doesn't keep me from loving the flavor of curry in almost anything. I also tend to love veggies. I don't eat enough of them, even if all I eat is a chef's salad. You can never have too many veggies.
No, really, you can't.

So in this case, I wanted to find something to do with more of the Tilapia I'd bought in our never-ending quest to eat healthier. Last time I was researching Tilapia recipes I'd found a Broiled Tilapia in a Thai-Curry sauce. It looked good and I had bookmarked it.

Well, last time I bought groceries I'd picked up a whole Cauliflower with the intention of making THIS yummy looking recipe for Gobhi Musallam. Except I never do anything quite exact. Which in this event turned out JUST fine! First, I didn't leave the cauliflower whole, I forgot to put *anything* in the water, and I didn't do the sauce the same either. Second, I was missing some of the spices.

So here's what I *did* do:

Cauliflower in Curry Sauce

1 Whole Cauliflower, cut into florettes
2 8oz cans of tomato sauce
1/2 can of water (i.e. 4 oz.)
1/2 Medium Red Onion
1t (-ish?) "Gourmet Garden" brand squeeze wet Ginger "spice blend" (read below!) 
2T (give or take) real Butter
"A few bits of powdered skin" of crushed red pepper *NO seeds*!!!!! (adjust to your own heat)
1t Ground Cumin (about)
3/4t Chili Powder (mine is cheap and not very spicy)
1-1 1/2 Garam Masala Powder (mine is McCormick from the store, but if you can get the good stuff....)
35-40 Cilantro Balls, crushed well (Read below!)
4-6 Tablespoons of yellow Curry powder.
1 can of Coconut milk (not coconut water, which will be awful in this!)

If this is the first time you've read my blog, you'll find my measurements are - well, kinda vague. That's because I don't really measure, and eventually, you probably won't either. Maybe you like things spicier than I do. So add more. Maybe you think something has too much cumin, or not enough lemon. Then change it. I won't mind. Honest.

I used the crushed Cilantro balls (seeds?) because I didn't have 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander - if you didn't know, ground coriander comes from the cilantro plant. So if you have ground coriander, feel free to use it if you have it. As for the Curry Powder, mine is the cheap stuff that comes in cello-pouches hanging with the Hispanic spices in many stores - SO much cheaper than the bottled, and rarely any worse. When I lived in Olympia, Washington I loved shopping at the food co-op and get fresh spices there, but alas, there is no food co-op here. I'd have to drive to Vegas, and with my car that's just not happening. Yet!

So I chopped the onion nice and small for hubby, and sauted them in the butter on medium high heat until they were caramelizing, and added the powder-shards from some red pepper. I shook the bottle, got as much "dust" as I could from the bottom of the bottle til I had *maybe* 1/8 of a teaspoon, and picked all the seeds out and returned them to the bottle. After about 1 min where the red pepper could infuse the butter and onions, I added about a 1" squeeze of the ginger. Warning, this can and very likely will pop, and can be hot as heck, so be careful. Then add in your spices.

After two or three minutes, add the tomato sauce, and rinse the cans with 1/3 to 1/2 of a can of water and add it in, turning it down to medium-low.  Let them kinda simmer together a few minutes, making sure the mix isn't bubbling and popping all over. Three or four should do it. Then start adding in the coconut milk, using a wisk to stir it in well. Let this simmer on low, uncovered, while you cook the cauliflower.

Put a pot of water to boil, add a tiny dash of salt if you live in high altitudes (you don't need it otherwise,) and as soon as the water is at a bag fat rip-roaring boil (not just a few lousy bubbles,) drop those cauliflower florets in and give it 6-8 minutes. You do NOT want them soft. You want them just past crunchy, barely. Not only do mushy vegetables SUCK but you're gonna put them in the sauce and cook them more, so all you're doing here is blanching them really.

Drain them, add them to your curry gravy, and heat them another 5-7 minutes to let the curry flavor soak into the cauliflower. In my case, they sat in the Curry sauce until my rice and Tilapia was done, about 10 mins.
Oh.  My.  Gosh.  It.  Was.  Good.

Why have bland canned corn with dinner? There's so much better stuff to eat...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google+ Followers