Friday, July 19, 2013

Pan-Fried Curry Dusted Tilapia

In our never-ending quest to eat more healthy, I've been finding ways to cook more fish and low-fat meats on a budget. Cooking on a budget is always more challenging than it sounds, especially when it's so much easier to throw a couple of hot dogs into a box of mac n' cheese and call it good. But this was very healthy, QUICK and everyone including the cat loved it!


This was the main dish to my Cauliflower in Curry Sauce and it was originally a mix of two different recipes I couldn't decide between for dinner. One was a Thai Coconut-Curry sauce over the fish, and one was a simple pan fried tilapia that looked really good and simple. Since the rice was steaming and the cauliflower was already in a nice pot of curry sauce, I melted a little butter in the skillet and decided to shoot for happy medium.

Pan-Fried Curry Dusted Tilapia

6 Tilapia filets (IQF from the freezer section)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons generic curry powder
Salt and Pepper to taste

Mix all the dry ingredients in a pie pan, cake pan, shallow bowl, etc. Rinse the fish, shake to dry (no drips, but not dry,) and dredge lightly but completely in the flour-spice mix. I ended up putting little slops of cooking oil in the pan a couple times, maybe 1-2 tablespoons each time, just enough so the fish didn't stick or burn. It was a bit of work to fit all 6 in the skillet at one time, but it worked, and I cooked them about 4 minutes, flipped them over, cooked about 6 or 7 more, then flipped them back over, tested the thickest, meatiest piece which seemed done.

Just cause I'm paranoid about fish, I had each of the guys taste it as well, and they both agreed it was done as well. My son said he was going to drizzle lime juice on his, and I was going to layer the curry sauce on mine, but in the end we all ate the fish with nothing else on it, and enjoyed the heck out of it. I even gave my jelicle cat some, which set him off asking for more for a few minutes. One of these days I'm going to take a video of him eating asparagus and put it on YouTube!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google+ Followers