Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Sauted Chicken

This recipe was given to my grandmother from someone at the embassy of Ghana and was strongly kept a secret until my mom gave it to me. I don't really believe in "secret family recipes" because any decent cook can usually come up with a mock version with a little trial and error. So instead, I'm sharing it.

The original recipe was designed to use left over KFC, but I like my homemade fried chicken better than KFC, so a day or two after I make fried chicken, *if* there's any left, I make this. However, if you don't want to wait, you can just take some chicken cut into strips, floured and fried, and drop them right into the pot of sauce. I like to do this, and even add the scrapings from the bottom of the fry pan, as it adds more chicken flavor. Adds some grease and carbs too though, so it's up to you. This is good in a slow cooker as well.

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken, cut up, or fried chicken from other source
1 whole box of dried onion soup mix, prepared according to directions on box
1/2 cup of lemon juice, or juice of 1 1/2 whole lemons (to taste - I like it tangy)
1/3 cup of dark (regular) worcestershire sauce (lea and perrins or french's I've found best)
1 family size can (or 3-4 small cans) of Cream of Mushroom soup (campbells seems to taste better than generic, especially the golden mushroom. If you use the low sodium, you'll probably need to add a little salt.)

Instructions:

In a 2 quart saucepan, cook onion soup according to directions. Add fried chicken, lemon juice and worcestershire sauce, and cook over medium-low heat about an hour until chicken is falling off the bone and falling apart. Use a slotted spoon to pull chicken out of pot, and add in the cream soup with a wisk to break up the soup. Do *not* add water, just the soup. Turn up to medium-high and when it's thickened up, add the chicken back in, removing as many bones as possible, turning back down to medium. Cook about 5-10 minutes and serve over stiff mashed potatoes or rice in a deep plate or a wide bowl. Can top with a little parmesan cheese or a dollop of sour cream, but it's good just as is!

This is surprisingly better the next day warmed up, also dump cooked rice in it and make an amazing chicken and rice soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google+ Followers