Saturday, April 26, 2014

1 Pot Asparagus and Swiss Omelet

So, I've been reading through Jon Gabriel's book and I've been tossing around the main concepts of this plan for several months. I had an opportunity some months ago to try his program for $1 (WELL worth the money!) and I've played the morning and night-time affirmations but I'm horrible with schedules, so anything like that tends to fall by the way-side.

HOWEVER, this morning I woke up, Saturday morning, and I decided I wanted to have something HEALTHY for breakfast. I didn't really want anything that took a long time to make though, and I tend towards hearty breakfasts that will make me feel full. (Biscuits and Gravy anyone?) A week or so ago at the store I'd found Asparagus on sale, nice tiny spears (FYI, you want the small stuff, a pencil-size or smaller if possible) and I realized this morning reading the book that perhaps my body wanted whatever is in the asparagus! Made sense to me.

WOW!! I couldn't have been more right. I'd include a picture of the finished omelets, but I ate it all too quickly, so did my hubby! And I always have to cook a little extra asparagus because my crazy cat loves the stuff! I'm gonna make my fortune on YouTube one of these days with a video of the silly thing eating all the crazy things he eats (he likes batter-fried zucchini too!)

Anyway, here's the recipe for you:

Asparagus and Swiss Omelets

2-3 Whole Eggs, scrambled in a bowl
6-10 small Asparagus spears, washed/rinsed, bottoms trimmed off
Pink Himalayan Salt (to taste)
Garlic and Herb flavor Mrs. Dash (to taste)
2 deli slices of Swiss Cheese
A small pinch of Cheddar Cheese
1 T of Verde Salsa (to taste, optional)
1/2 teaspoon of Salted butter mixed with 1 teaspoon of Ghee (clarified butter, no fat solids)

I choose a medium pot to steam the asparagus, and since the steamer thing was dirty, I just actually boiled it slightly, but drained it in a small hand strainer. Take the asparagus out of the fridge, trim off the bottoms (which is more likely to be about the bottom half of them to be honest, to the point they're not "woody" anymore,) and rinse in lots of cold water. Meanwhile, bring about 2 cups of water *without* salt to a boil, drop the asparagus in, bring it to a boil again and time about 60-90 seconds until the asparagus turns bright bright green and is kind of Al Dente (tender but still a tiny bit crunchy to the bite.) Drain and set aside.

Turn burner down to about medium to medium high, depending on your range (it was 4 1/2 on my electric stove,) and dry the pot with a paper towel so no water is left. This is important because water and oil DON'T mix well. Once dry, put back on the burner, and add the butter/ghee mix. The reason for the mix is I think the flavor of butter adds to foods, and I don't think it's necessarily a *bad* thing, but Ghee is doubtlessly healthier and the milk solids are where the hormones and antibiotics and junk they put in our food likely resides. (Of course if you have access to organic, free range, antibiotic-free butter, feel free to use it.) The main thing here is to make sure the butter DOESN'T get brown or burn!! Make sure your burner has cooled off enough before this!!

Whip your eggs a *lot* before adding them into the pot. The more air, the fluffier the omelet. Pour it all at once into the pot, pulling the sides back a little and shaking the pot a bit to let the bottom unstick (or use a rubber spatula a little if you have to. Sprinkle with the salt and Mrs. Dash and put THE LID ON THE POT. Cook it for about 1-2 minutes. This will cook the eggs without having to turn it over (hard to do in the pot, but not impossible if you want to go for it...lol) Take the lid off, and if the egg is *mostly* done, layer the asparagus evenly in one half, turning part of the spears opposite so that you have tips at both ends.

Take one piece of Swiss and place it right in the middle of the side with the Asparagus, then tear the other piece in half and lay it over the tips. Then sprinkle the small pinch of cheddar over the swiss and put the lid back on for about 30 seconds. When the cheese is a bit melty, take the rubber spatula and fold the plain egg half over the cheese and veggie half, and slide onto a plate.

Now this is good by itself, and if inclined, go ahead and eat it this way, like my hubby did. *I* like verde salsa, and dotted *just a little* over the top of the omelet and WOW did it really enhance the flavor just that little bit it needed!

Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Google+ Followers