Thursday, January 22, 2015

Easy Cheesy Taco Soup

So this was so easy and yummy I just had to post it. I can see SO many ways to change this up and tinker with it, and it's very frugal. I've gotten the ingredients for this in food bank boxes.  Well, most of them at least. This could easily be adapted for a slow cooker or to a vegetarian meal.

The fun thing about this soup is it can use up leftovers, it's not too spicy, it's quick and easy and warm for a cold afternoon. I can verify that kids and husbands like it too. We use Napa Cabbage instead of lettuce because it holds up to the heat better than iceberg lettuce. I typically have it on hand because I love it in salads; it's crunchy, has more nutrition than plain iceberg and holds in the fridge longer without getting nasty. 

Easy Cheesy Taco Soup

1 can of Campbell's Cheese soup
1 can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
1 10oz can of red enchilada sauce
1 tablespoon of cumin spice
2 cups of cooked taco meat (leftovers anyone?)
1 head of Napa Cabbage
1 1/2 cups broken tortilla chips
Sour Cream, Plain Yogurt or Ranch Dressing (optional) 

So in a medium saucepan whisk together the cheese soup and TWO cans of water. I didn't do this and it was lumpy until I fixed it. I think it would be much better to just do this to start with. Then add the cans of Rotel and Enchilada sauce, the cumin, and the taco meat. Heat over medium heat until good and heated. Don't bring to a boil, there's no need, and it could scorch the cheese soup.

In bowls, put your broken chips and cut up cabbage. Me personally, I like to cut up the fluffy part of the cabbage in 1"x1" pieces, but the center of the leaf I cut up in 1" x 1/4" strips. This way the really crunchy parts are bite-sized. You can put a little sour cream, yogurt or ranch in now, but I like it on top. Spoon in the soup and mix it all up and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google+ Followers